Saturday, October 18, 2008

National Museum and General Thoughts on Japan





I visited the Japanese National Museum today, which I would have to say is similar, in size and scope, to the Smithsonian Museum(s). It seems like I have said this often, but this was a great experience. I posted two pictures, one was of a bow, arrows, and quiver used by samurai and the other is the face of a statue in the museum. I believe it is of a samurai.

Some of the questions asked were in regards to transportation. No, I have not seen any muscle cars or anything of that nature. In fact, many Japanese, at least those in Tokyo, use public transportation (subway), and ride bikes, scooters, mopeds, etc. It is not unusual to see a man in a suit riding a bike to or from work.

I do not see nearly the amount of cars as I would see in New York City. However, there are still plenty of cars. They just are not American cars. I have yet to see a Chevy, Ford, Dodge. All of the vehicles I have seen are compact cars. There are not many SUVs and I don't believe I have even seen a pickup.

The Japanese are very green and environmental conscious. All of the garbage cans that you see are divided into recyclable categories. I have a picture of one posted above.

Somebody had also asked a question about McDonalds. They do have McDonalds, although I haven't eaten there yet. I took this picture earlier today. The menu is similar, but they have different products. Potatoes and bacon are extremely popular in Japan, which may be a reason for this creation.

Another question was asked about English. Most of the Japanese that I have visited with speak very good Japanese. I know that this will change tomorrow when I travel to Minamisoma, though. In may ways Tokyo feels like a US city. People are very comfortable around Americans and speak well. Outside of Tokyo, though, things will be different. More people will not speak English and they may not be as comfortable around foreigners. I will keep you all updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

does the mcdonalds food taste different in japan?
John