Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Experience in Tokyo




Hello,

I am happy that I could finally find some time to blog. Things have been extremely busy thus far. Also, I logged in to blog earlier and my blog defaulted to Japanese, which made things a little difficult to navigate. Now that I have the language back to English, it will be a lot easier.

Our flight was around 15 hours with the 1 hour we waited on the tarmac before take off. Obviously, it got to be a very long time to sit in a chair. Immediately upon our arrival we were bused from Narita Airport to our hotel in Tokyo. It is an amazing building. I attached the link below
http://www.newotani.co.jp/en/group/company/tokyo.html

We had around 10 minutes to bring our luggage to our rooms before we had our first responsibilities. We met our former Fulbright Scholars and discussed the current state of Japan. My small group met with Mr. Habe. When we address him here in Japan we refer to him as Habe-san (Hah bay-sahn) to show proper respect. We had a tremendous time with Habe-san as he took as to an authentic Japanese restuarant and ate with us. He thought it was very funny that I could not use chopsticks and he taught me the "proper way". I wouldn't say I am a master, but I am getting better.

With Habe-san, we had a chance to dine on numerous Japanese dishes. For the most part, it was delicious. Sashime is a perfect example of a dish I had on my first night that I would never had even considered had I not come to Tokyo. Sashime is very fresh raw fresh that is sliced into pieces 1 inch thick and serve with Wasabi and a radish-type vegetable called a daikon. Our plate had pieces of tuna, salmon, and a few other varieties of fish. While I wasn't so sure about them, it was very good and something that I would eat again. **UPDATE** The picture added above is the sashime.

At 4:00 am the next morning, I woke up to get ready for the Tsukiji Fish Market. It was an amazing experience to see these fish auctioned off. We were lucky enough to be able to enter the tuna auction. This was only recently opened back up to They put on quite a show. On our way back, we got to experience the Tokyo subway system. It was an intricate system that is similar, in many ways, to the Washington D.C system. **UPDATE** The other pictures above are from the Fish Market. They are of the tuna laying out and being auctioned off.

I will try and blog more on my day today (it is 11:00 pm here in Tokyo) when I wake up or this afternoon. I will also download my pictures and add some more comments.

I will also touch on why the Japanese Diet is so unpopular right now. If anybody has a clue, post it in the commets. *Clue - why is Diet a proper noun?

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rob,

I was wondering what the food is like there. Do you get a variety of food or does the Japanese diet contain basically the same food for every meal of the day?

Sincerely, M.C.K.

Anonymous said...

Ok I was wondering if Japan's education is more advance then ours (like if the students there take harder classes at a younger age then us)? Stephen K.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Lech, are you enjoying your time there? The food seems like it would be good. Hope you have a fun and same time.

Leighton G

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Lech, What is the weather like in Japan?

Jon W.

Anonymous said...

i think that it is awsome that you got to go to Japan. I was woundering if you have a translator to help you understand what the Japanese people are saying? I also was woundering if the food is anything like the resteraunts around here? Enjoy yourself and have some wile you there cause its probably a once in a lifetime opertunity!


zach hauser

Anonymous said...

Are the students in Japan really smarter than students in the U.S.?
Kasey S.

Anonymous said...

Is it hard adjsuting to the time difference. Tyler

Anonymous said...

Are the Japanese up to date with our political situation?
Nicole H.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Lech,
How was Japan?
Was it hard to adjust the humidity and temperature?
I hope you had fun!
Ruby A.

Anonymous said...

Ewww... was it not nasty eating raw fish. You say it ws good, but be honest was it hard to choke down the first time you ate it. Josey E

Anonymous said...

What is the most exciting thing you have done so far in Japan.

Johnathan W

Anonymous said...

Dear Rob,

How expensive is the food there compaired to the United States?

Jesse B.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Rob Lech,

Do they have school sponsored sports or do they have to join a club of some sort like in Germany? Not to sound to much like a cornball but how is your room?

Studious Student, Jacob F.

Anonymous said...

What tower of your hotel are you in?
Is the arcitecture of Japan extremely different from what it is in the USA?

Marshall B.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Lech,
A couple questions I have are what are the rules and regulations like there compared to ours? (Such as open-campus, dress code, detentions, etc.) Also, I was wondering what their schedule was like. If they have certain periods that last a fixed amount of time and exactly how long they are in school during the day and even which days?

--Zach F.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Lech,
A couple questions I have are what are the rules and regulations like there compared to ours? (Such as open-campus, dress code, detentions, etc.) Also, I was wondering what their schedule was like. If they have certain periods that last a fixed amount of time and exactly how long they are in school during the day and even which days?

--Zach F.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Lech, I bet you're having a kick-butt time! This is probably kind of a wierd question, but did you fly in a little puddle-jumper biplane or was it pretty nice? I was in a plane for 8 hours once and that was long. Thankfully, we had T.V.'s that had movies, music (which was a life saver!), and they also had estimated arrival time, distance traveled, elevation, and outside temperature.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've always wanted to go to Japan! Is it really beautiful there? think you could get me a postcar? You don't have to! Have an awesome time! Heather B.

Anonymous said...

Does it really take a super long time to get anywhere because the roads are so busy?

Coltyn A

Anonymous said...

I've been over seas before and getting right off the plane when you get there, you get very jet-lagged. Was it hard for you after a 15 hour flight, to prefom your responsibilities right away?

Whitney C.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen a coy fish pond or any monks?

Keanon S.

Anonymous said...

Have you go to talk to any monks?
Nate W.

Anonymous said...

Mr.Lech
Did you try sushi yet? If so how was it?

Alaina B.

necroblaze said...

hey, how is Japan? i heard that place is supposed to be a nice place. send me a postcard or something. thankx

- josiah beko

Anonymous said...

Is it really crowded there? Also is it always busy and never really any down time in the city?
Logan D.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Lech,

Has anything really exciting happened to you since you got to Japan?

Jaydin M.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Lech,

Do you have to drive on the "not normal" side of the road?

Denver U.

Anonymous said...

are the kids playing baseball on the street like they are in the Gatorade 2 comercial?

Chance W.

Anonymous said...

Is Japan worth visiting seriously or is it just gonna be like any other trip? was it exciting and different so that u have a REAL experience or is it just another place. I have always been interested in traveling the world one day and knowing from a person who is visiting japan is good resource in my opinion. thank you for your answers

Scott F.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Lech, How is the weather down there? is it very different from being here? and is japan a very clean place or is it kind of a dirty place?

Amber O.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Lech.

I hope your enjoying your time in Japan. I was wondering what the most popular vehicle is driven there?

Well, I hope you have a safe trip home.

Keely H

Anonymous said...

Was it hard adjusting to the time difference Tyler S