Monday, October 20, 2008

Fukushima University



Today, we toured the Fukushima University. It was interesting to view higher education in Japan and visit with the University President, various Deans, and even some students. I was lucky enough to give the welcome speech to the Dean and faculty members. I have posted a picture above. That is our interpreter, Marikyo, on my left. Also posted is a picture of our group visiting in small groups (Science, Special Education, Music and Fine Arts, and Language).

I attend the special education group and was fascinated to learn that nationally only 6% of students are categorized as special education. That compares to a 13% average in the United States. I was shocked to hear that our host city of Minamisoma has only 80 students listed as special needs. The total student enrollment is 8,100. That is around 1%! According to a teacher and professor, the Japanese have only introduced Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) in the past two years. These have been the standard document in the US since the institution of IDEA.

In response to Mrs. Wold's question about funding for Fukushima University, according to my rough calculations Fukushima has 38% of its revenue determined by tuition/fees. It would cost a freshman roughly 7,500 Yen per year (that includes a one time 2,500 Yen fee for incoming students). A sophomore and beyond would pay 5,000 Yen. The remaining 62% is federally subsidized in one way or another.

The tuition amounts are set by the national government. As I mentioned in my previous post, the educational system is very centalized. The public universities are told a range they can set their tuition in that is very limiting.

I am starting to realize that in the United States we are looking at our system and only seeing the negative. On the flip side, we look at other countries and only see their test scores or other data. I have started to realize that Japan is looking at the United States to determine what is best practice in education. They seem to realize, what we are seeming to take for granted. We have the best educational system in the world. Surely, we have things to fix and issues to address, but we, at times, are trying to fix a system that others are trying to emulate.

We are touring one of the Middle Schools tomorrow, so I hopefully will have some pictures to post and more to visit. I apologize for not getting to more questions. I will try to answer more as the week goes on. I think I will have a little more free time over the next couple of days.

Feel free to ask more questions. I am very glad that people are paying attention to it. Although it is vicariously, you are all hear with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i was born in north dakota

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Lech

Is the tuition prices close to the same as it would be here in North Dakota?


Marisa K.

Anonymous said...

nice... i was to

Anonymous said...

WOW! Those are some amazing pictures Mr.Lech i would have to say that i may have to go to japan someday. Thank for the great experience you have shown us over the web.
John W

Anonymous said...

OK I was just wondering one thing: during the meetings you've been going to, does everyone speak English?

Robert F.

Anonymous said...

How do you think North Dakota's education standards differ from Japans. Jaime P